Wednesday 15 April 2020

Food

For the first time ever we are successfully meal planning. Turns out all I needed for this to work is to be stuck indoors for a month with limited supplies! :)

The daily meal has become the centre of our world right now. We are mostly still working but everything is at home. So like almost everyone else there isn't much to think about doing. I am cleaning and decorating and all that but no exercise classes, swimming, working at other locations, all the things which make life fairly full, and actually fairly full on. But cooking is creative and keeps all of my senses busy so it has naturally become the centre of our little universe.

I dont think we are wasteful normally. Waste make me a cross. But at the moment I am determined not to waste a single lentil. So each meal must feed us exactly or be incorporated in a future meal. I am also feeding my dad on alternate days, so cant have anything too wild on those days. But that does mean that any single portions of freezable meals can go in the freezer for him.

Fahed has been going out each week to queue at the local ASDA to get what we need of fresh veg, fruit, dairy. He was gone for 3 hours last Friday for what would normally take about 45 minutes but he said it was actually really well organised and worked well. I think he has gone into hunter gatherer mode so feels he is actually contributing to our survival by going to do this. And he is, as shopping not half as easy as usual.

This weeks menu is:
Monday: Chicken soup and burghal. Its actually a stew of potatoes, onions and tomatoes with chicken stock. Sometimes it has a little chicken in it for flavour but the veg is the star. Its serve don a bed of burghal (bulgar wheat). Took a portion to dad and also froze a portion for future.
Tuesday:Fried Chicken and salads. Each person had a piece of chicken which i spiced, egg washed and dipped in cornflour, then fried it for a few minutes to crisp it up. Then into the oven for 40 minutes to cook through and also let the oil drain out. Served with home made coleslaw and lahanasalata, basically coleslaw but dressed with lemon and oil. That was a new way for chicken for us but very lovely. The salads will be good for a few days.
Wednesday: Bangers and mash! Good old English tradition. Sausages cooked on the griddle, mashed potatoes, broccoli and i think there is also cauliflower cheese in the plan.
Thursday: Lemon chicken. Chicken and potatoes cooked in the oven in lemon juice and garlic. There will be various leftover vegetables sides with this.
Friday: Greek lamb and potatoes in the oven. Not sure what veggies yet.
Saturday: Souzoukakia - Meat balls with tomato sauce
Sunday: Carb fest! We can have what we like and no concern for healthy eating. At the moment it sounds like home made chips and home made pizza. I like my chips done in olive oil and sprinkled with oregano and feta. My mouth is now watering. I shan't need the cheese and tomato pizza if i can have that

Obsessed with food? Yes i think so. Far less likely to panic about everything if my focus is firmly inside the house

2 comments:

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...