Tuesday 8 April 2008

Want not...


Cathy has some ideas on what to do with banana skins! Composting sounded too easy so I am investigating the possibilities of feeding my rose bushes on them and found
Rose Bushes: Blend one skin (soft Part) with blender full of water and pour on base of Rose Bush. Promotes healthy roots and new growth.
I only have about 7 or 8 rose bushes so I had a look around the web as well for ideas and came up with the following:-

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!
Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation
.

I have to say that these both sound as though you need to eat a banana when required rather than keep a bunch of skins somewhere but all the same it is nice to know you can do something with them.

I also read up on banana beer as I thought it might use whole bananas but no such luck, only those ripe enough to be skinned can participate.

There is a slight flaw in my plans today. I went to the hospital equipped with a little bag to collect all the peeling and the only fruit he ate today was a pomegranate. The peel was all little bits as we the remaing inside once the little jewels of fruit had been eaten. I will investigate but I feel that the compost may well be the only answer for this little bundle.

On the subject of pomegranate a friend in Crete (hello Sue) sent me alittle silver one for Christmas. Apparently it is tp bring luck and long life at new year. Hopefully it will also help him back to health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...