Sunday 24 October 2010

The Takeaway Secret

I have been reading about this book on the MSE forums. It is very sensibly priced and according the forum the results are amazing. We don't very often have takeaway but sometimes one of the old familiar tastes would be good.

Today I made BK style burgers for Fahed for a lunch. I used the book guidance, which I think is for McDs,and adapted it slightly with mayo and onion rings, BK stylee. He said they were lovely.

I used up some stray chicken breast making Sweet and Sour chicken balls. The sauce wasn't twangy enough, but my son says extra sugar and vinegar would sort that,and the batter for the balls was too thin. This was my fault as my new glasses just don't seem to be strong enough actually read with so I am not at all sure I had the right quantities for the ingredients.

Youngest son had friends around to stay so I experimented with a Sausage McMuffin. We didn't do the egg as no-one likes them anyway but the actually sausage patty was excellent.

It is quite fun to try to replicate familiar takeaway dishes but the best part is that it was all pretty quick to cook. Just right for evenings when I am late home from work.

A friend send me this biscuit recipe. I don't have any cornflakes here now but will be trying this one this week.


CORNFLAKE DROP COOKIES
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 cups cornflakes
1 cup yogurt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup raisins (optional)
Cream together sugar and butter, add the eggs, baking soda and milk. Stir in the cornflakes. Whisk together the dry ingredients and add.
Beat well and drop from by rounded tablespoons onto a well greased cookie sheet, leaving 1 inch space between cookies.

Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes or until done.

Yum, cornflakes are going on next weeks shopping list.

1 comment:

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...