Thursday 30 October 2014

THursday - a confusion of admin

So my Greek tax return for the year is done and my property tax is paid.

The 350 euro includes this years property tax which last year was applied through the electric bill, and was much higher, but thanks to the European Court of Human Rights now we must pay direct. Whilst I understand that its good that people who cant afford the random taxes we are currently being charged don't get the electricity cut off it is still a bit of nuisance for me as I now have to pay a Greek accountant, even though I am an accountant, to pay it for me.

After I paid my Greek tax of 350 euro I was looking at some old papers to find details about other things which need paying at some point. I missed that I had a quote for bringing my tax return status up to date in 2012. Apparently I should have completed a tax return every year since 2007. I wouldn't get any personal tax as I have no earnings in the country but I would need to pay a fine for missing the returns.

So 350 includes this years property tax, plus my fine, plus a fee to the accountant and a few to the guy who does the actual work. The quote 2 years ago was 768 euro just for the fine and bringing my returns up to date. I also paid 400e property tax last year and 800e the year before.

I am pretty pleased with my 350e now!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is confusing and expensive but not as expensive as it could have been...I think.

    ReplyDelete

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...