Monday 3 November 2014

Small habits - big differences

My sons former girlfriend went through a phase of doing our laundry and dish-washing. Very kind so I didnt complain but since she isn't here anymore I have started to do it myself my bills are down so much. So, with all things electrical, I play by the rules


  • Only use the tumble dryer when its largely unavoidable - I don't dry indoors as when I did this previously it made my house very damp and I dont use heating until it really cold, so it would be a waste to heat it just for the drying.
  • Dont set the dishwasher going unless it is full
  • Dont set the dishwasher going unless it is stacked in such a way that everything will come out clean
  • Dont set the washing machine going until it is full but not overfull.
  • Give everything a good spin before drying.
  • Even if it not a sunny day then you can still get a bit of drying done. 
  • Put shirts etc on coathangers to bring them in quickly.  
  • Fill the 'clothes horse' with towels, jeans etc and you can lift it indoors in one go if the rain starts
  • Hang your undies on an octopus (multi hanger thing) and again you can grab it and bring it indoor in no time.
  • Drying that is already partially dry can be finished in doors, unless its really cold and damp, without making the house damp.
  • Dont use the electric oven to cook things which are perfectly good in the microwave or in a dry griddle pan.


Any one have any further ideas to brings the bills down?

1 comment:

  1. I am terribly wasteful with my dryer especially since I live in a dry climate. I rarely use my oven. My tiny toaster oven is good enough for a small pizza. I have to be careful not to catch things on fire in there though. It is really easy to do.

    ReplyDelete

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...